Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day 1 Tokyo comes to an end..an early night

The World's Best Hotel 2007 voted Mandarin Oriental 43th on its list. If this is 43rd, I wonder what the best hotel would look like......


My room... for the coming 10 nights


Kenneth, my colleague asked if i felt like 'ultraman' in the hotel. Check out the power showers. The room is even equipped with automated curtains - with one push of the button total black out!!!

Super high tech toilet bowl 'facilities'...and heated toilet seats.....

For lunch, met up with Ken-san and Yossy, his wife and their child Mika-chan for lunch. Ken, who used to teach me Japanese in KL took us to this quaint little shop in Shinjuku called 'Tsunahachi' that's apparently really famous for their tempura.

Located on: 3-31-8 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, 160-0022, Tokyo
Phone No: 03-3352-1012
Website: http://www.tunahachi.co.jp/

Just one of the many dishes of tempura we feasted...we had shell fish, ebi, fish, squid.......for sure we can't get the same quality in KL.....

Barely 2 hours after our late-lunch ended, mom's friend, Mr and Mrs Omori popped by to take us to 'dinner'. OMG!!!!I'm stuffing myself ....such gluttony (the digital scales in the hotel weighed 49kg with my jeans and all before lunch, I dread to even look at them now!!!).....even on the first day itself already.....we walked I think > 30 minutes from the hotel to Ginza, into a little alley to a restaurant called Taiga which is famous for it's puffer fish & 'horo horo' tori (some fat and black looking chicken).

Dee-leee-cious 'horo horo tori' yakitori

Minced meat yakitori..

Oooh..the highlight of dinner sashimi 'fugu' (puffer/ blow fish). Well, since I'm still blogging - and not poisoned, I guess the licenced fugu chef(uh...yes u need a license to prepare this lethally poisonous fish)must have done a good job removing all the poison from the fish. I first had it in Hajime KL over a Valentine's lunch but in KL everything is air flown from Japan and to my understanding there are no licensed fugu chefs in Malaysia.


Goes remarkably well with the spicy radish and spring onions....blisss.....

and who's ever heard of 'fugu' sake (can't exaclty remember the Japanese name for it). Apparently, the fins are deep fried, grilled and soaked in hot sake...i had a gulp of it...I must said it had a rather unusual taste to it....

So this basically concludes my Day 1 in the land of the rising sun. I'm so proud I have not started ANY SHOPPING YET. But I did see a rather BIG Burberry Shop in Ginza......
Oh well....minasan oyasumi nasai ...everyone good night!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So which bag did you decide on? The patent one...i think u will grow out of it after a while...u sure u want to spend RM1,800 on it...???

Siao Yue said...

ya la......aiyo thinking...but really nice wor...is it 1800..no la i divided 1448 la agak agak???