Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How to make a good pizza!

I went to learn to make pizza last Sunday at the Cooking House. When I told some of my 'be-lo-ved' friends out there that I was going to pay to learn to make pizza, this was followed by laughter and mockery and more laughter!

'Why can't you just buy a cookbook?' Haha, maybe it's because I simply have too much money and don't know where to spend it? ...Just kidding. I'll tell u why soon enough!

The class is taught by Chef Enzo Dente who owns an Italian restaurant in SS2 by the name of Buonasera. I have yet to try it but it is a 'must-do' on my list now afters he boasts of having the best Tiramisu in Malaysia! In case anyone wants to try traditional Italian food, I was told it is beside Hoppy Duck in SS2. (03 - 78778586 , call for directions)

Anyway back to the class....a 3 1/2 hour hands on class is definitely well spent. The class of 20 people was slightly disorientated but we managed to get thru it learning the art of making dough, the sauce and a few different types of pizza.

I am going to include the recipe for making a good dough for a class of 20 (adjust accordingly)

The Dough

1.25kg Blue Key Flour (Plain Flour)
1.25kg Diamond Flour (Plain Flour)
1.25l Cold Water
30ml Olive Oil
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Salt
130g Yeast

1. Dissolve yeast, oil, salt and sugar into cold water.
2. Combine flour and knead until dough is smooth (10 minutes)
3. Cover dough with a damp cloth of with cling wrap and leave in warm place. Proof for 30 - 45 minutes. (In between, I was told to 'punch' the dough a couple of times to let the air out)
4. Scale dough to 120g (looks like a woman's fist :P). Coat with flour and roll ut using a rolling pin.
5. Flatten on a oiled pizza tray.
6. Spread pizza based with pizza sauce starting from the centre spreading outwards, lay on toppings. (Make sure pizza base is pressed out to even thickness)
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 300F for about 6-8 minutes.

** Note: If you put too much flour on tray, pizza will shrink
140g of dough for 9 inch tray
265g of dough for 12 inch tray

The sauce
1 tin Pelled Italian Tomato's, blended
Handful Fresh Basil, sliced (sweet basil)
Handful Italian Parsley, chopped (no other types)
To taste Salt & Pepper
3 tbsp Garlic crushed (or to your liking)
1 tbsp oregano (preferably dry)

1. Mix all the above together and blend in blender

Ta -dah the finished base with the sauce and mozarella cheese sprinkled on top (getting ready to make the Margarita Pizza)....

And finally the recipe for a good Margarita Pizza

125 ml Italian Pizza Sauce
100g Mozzarella Cheese
150g Tomato, cubed
20g Fresh Basil, sliced
2 tbsp oilve oil
1 tbsp Garlic, crushed
To taste Salt and Pepper

1. Make the base as shown above.
2. Mix tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Once the crust has come out thin and crispy after 6 minutes or until done.
4. Top with tomato mixture and sprinle more freshly sliced basil on top before serving.

...and here you go!!!


Once I get my pizza tray..I guess my parents would be the first guinea pig....

Amongst the other types of stuff we learnt

Old style Olive and Rosemary Pizza
Calzone with Roast Chicken and Pineapple (my favourite)..but I would have preferred the normal pizza instead of a calzone..

Calzone with Spinach and Ricotta Cheese ..yum yum

And the ready calzones!

No comments: